Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Peter Falk may have Alzheimer's Disease







According to reports today, Peter Falk's daughter, Catherine,
filed legal papers in Los Angeles claiming her father
"requires full-time custodial care for his health and safety."
It seems that he is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and
dementia and she is afraid that he could be easily deceived.

It makes me sad to hear this news.
When I was little, I wanted to be Columbo more than anything.
I would watch the show and act like him.
I BEGGED for a coat just like Columbo's, so I could be more like him.
When I FINALLY got the coat, I still was not happy.
This trench coat was not the same. It wasn't wrinkled like Columbo's,
in fact it was very crisp. My mother, probably at her wit's end,
rolled the coat into a ball, put it under a couch cushion and told me to sit
on the cushion for 10 minutes.
It worked! My coat now looked just like Columbo's!
I bet my mom was overjoyed that the new coat that she just bought me
looked like it was run over by a truck!
I happily grabbed my coat and magnifying glass (who knows why since
Columbo didn't have one) and went out into the neighborhood in
search of crimes. Alas, my boring neighborhood never had a crime
to solve but that never stopped me!
When my friends and I went to New York City in 2006,
Kristin HAD to go to Live with Regis and Kelly.
I went with her while Kathy went to the Today Show
and Nancy slept in. We didn't have tickets and were the last ones
allowed in from the wait list. I would have been sad for Kristin
if we didn't get in but I would have been okay.
Then, they announced the guests.
One of the guests
on Live with Regis and Kelly was
PETER FALK!!
I couldn't believe my luck!
We were in the last row but I didn't care!
Here are some photos from that most excellent day.
The first is from where Regis grabbed Peter's book off the table and dumped
a cup on the floor. I have never seen so many people deal with one broken cup.
The second is from where he was leaving the stage.
The last one was when his limo was leaving. He signed autographs for a while.
Of course, I had nothing for him to sign but that was okay.
I met one of my childhood heroes that day.
My heart goes out to Peter Falk and his family.

No comments: