Thursday, November 13, 2008

FINALLY, I am in The Guinness World Book of Records!


Ever since I watched The Brady Bunch growing up, I had to be like Bobby and Cindy and try to get into The Guinness World Book of Records. My friend Beth and I would read our copies of The Guinness World Book of Records and try and figure out which record could we break. Which ones could we do over summer vacation and how hard it would be?

And more importantly, could we get our parents behind this project? Would they bring us food and water and let us stay up past our bedtime during our attempt? There was a lot of planning on this project. But alas, I never did break a record!


UNTIL NOW!!!!!!!!!

The last day of The Math, Science, Technology FunFest, we attempted to break the old record of simultaneous launch of rubberband-powered paper airplanes.

2,300 kids of all ages went out to The Tucson Community Center parking lot with our individually numbered airplanes and waited for the countdown.

Would we have enough to break the old record? And what was the old record?
Some airplanes went into orbit a little early but at least 1,800 were launched at the same time.

WE DID IT!!!

Finally, I am going to be in The Guinness World Book of Records!
YEAH!!! I can't believe it!

I AM IN!


The next day, I got up early and bought a newspaper.
Clearly, this important event would be covered by the media.
And there it was on the front page of the Arizona Daily Star, a big photo and article about us breaking the record!

Check it out.


I quickly read the article and found out that the old record was 88 planes.
WHAT?!?!?!
88????
ONLY 88????
AAARRRRRGGGHHHHH!

I could have organized my elementary school and beat that record YEARS ago!!
Why didn't we see this record in our books? WHY???

Well, my depression quickly lifted when I realized that while I didn't break any records when I was a child, I broke one on November 7, 2008 at 11:30am.

And that made me smile!



When does the 2009 edition come out?

No comments: